Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm: Thanksgiving Holiday Retreat November 27-30 2008

I was born and raised here in Southern Cali just outside of Los Angeles; I have to confess that although I am a self-professed xenophile, I do LOVE California! I love it! I love it! I love it! And quite honestly, I can't imagine living anywhere that doesn't include the words 'West Coast' in its description. California is one of the most mystical and magickal places on the planet, the older I get the more I value its gifts...Mountains, deserts (Joshua Tree. I mean come on), beaches all within a couple of hours from where I live. I have mountains in my back yard!!! It's absolutely incredible.

Come experience the Farm during this traditional festival of gratitude and thankfulness. Enjoy a delicious vegetarian feast surrounded by family and friends. Let yourself experience meditation and Yoga asana, thankful for the knowledge made available to you by those who have come before.

What Is An Ashram?
The Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm combines a traditional ashram and a modern Yoga and meditation retreat. The word "Ashram" is a Hindu term for a religious retreat where a student is guided by a spiritually qualified, ordained swami (Hindu monk) who has practiced Yoga disciplines under the guidance of a Master or guru. Swami Vishnu-devananda, the founder of the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm is a recognized Yoga Master and pioneer of classical Yoga in the West.

Ashram life reflects the teaching that all life is One, and that true happiness and health must engage body, mind and spirit. Yogic spiritual teachings assert that the inner Spirit governs the body and mind, and remind us of our journey to Self-Realization. The principles of the ashram include respect for religious differences, multi-culturalism, multi-ethnicity, and multi-disciplinary study. Coming from a lineage of Indian yogis, there is a flavor of Vedic culture and Hinduism in some aspects of our practice. At the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm there is a schedule of activities, some of which are mandatory and some of which are optional. Codes of conduct, ethics and attire help to maintain the spiritual atmosphere of the ashram.
Yoga of Peace and Social Responsibility:
"Peace is the happy, natural state of man. It is his birthright. War is his disgrace. In a state of peace and love, people evolve, grow in their destructive culture and develop perfect civilization. In peace and calmness, spiritual evolution is facilitated...the peace that prevails today is the peace of fear and peace of preparation. Reform yourself, and society will reform itself." - Swami Sivananda

No comments: