Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Plagiarism and Free Information


This is my last word on the issue of plagiarism and 'Free' Information...

Free information and plagiarism are two separate issues...Here's why:

I rarely purchase books based on reviews or recommendations from people I know. For the most part, I buy books or research articles based on the sources of reference provided within the pages of the books that are sitting on my shelves. Plagiarism robs me of the right to reference. If one doesn't know that what one is reading has been plagiarized then one is left without options. How is that 'Free' information? I can't count how many times I have been introduced to a new author based on a current or past read. What's worse is a fragment of information that has been 'borrowed' without proper attribution usually comes from a source that is very interesting on its own and deserves attention or, at the very least, an opportunity for attention. So you know...Don't steal ideas or words, it's just bad form.

No comments: